Hemp seeds are one of nature’s perfect Super Foods because they have a well-rounded nutritional profile – making them a great addition for people who eat vegan or vegetarian diets. They are rich in essential omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids which promote cardiovascular health and a healthy immune system. These seeds also contain a high amount of GLA (gamma linolenic acid), an essential building block for reducing the physical and emotional effects of hormones.
Hemp seeds contain the “perfect protein” that consists of all 20 amino acids, as well as each of the 9 essential amino acids which cannot be produced by the body. The incredibly high amount of amino acids can help you feel full longer by slowing down the digestion process. Additionally, the high amounts of fiber aids the movement of food and waste through the digestive system.
These exceptionally nutritious seeds, are also a source for magnesium and B vitamins, which makes them a powerful stress reliever!
Hemp seeds have a bit of a stronger flavor than almonds and cashews, which is why I provided an option to adding some cinnamon, vanilla and dates in this homemade hemp milk recipe. Enjoy this creamy plant based milk over cereal, in a smoothie or oatmeal!
- 1 c organic hemp seeds
- 3 c filtered water
- 1/4 t sea salt
- 1/2 t vanilla (optional)
- 1/2 t cinnamon (optional)
- 3 pitted dates (optional)
- Add hemp seeds, water and and sea salt to a high speed blender and blend for 3 minutes or until the seeds are completed blended and the consistency become milky.
- If you prefer it sweetened, add cinnamon, vanilla and dates and blend for another 2 minutes.
- Store in a glass container in the fridge for up to 5 days.