I always seem to have an itch to travel to new places, see new sights, try new cuisines, and immerse myself in different cultures. I started traveling more frequently in my early 20s to other countries and across the United States and have found some ways to keep myself balanced and strive to try and maintain a healthy lifestyle while traveling.
My Top 6 Tips to Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle While Traveling:
1) Try booking an AirBnB – my husband and I have been using AirBnB for years and we try to avoid hotels at all costs. Not only are you supplementing a local verse a big hotel chain but you also get great tips from locals on what to see and do. The best part about staying at an AirBnB is that you typically have a lot more space verses a hotel room. Most of them come with a kitchen or kitchenette so you can stock up on groceries and cook healthy meals in. This is also a huge money saver! You also might have some extra space to do yoga or other indoor exercises.
2) Keep your gut in check – if you’re a creature of habit (like me) and tend to eat a lot of the same things at home then when you eat out more then you may start to experience some digestive issues. I find that drinking a daily green juice, kombucha and taking digestive enzymes helps a ton. I liked ENZYMEDICA and Renew Life’s digestive enzymes. I also recommend stocking up on some yogurt to load up on probiotics to help maintain a healthy gut.
3) Don’t forget your supplements and reusable water bottle – I always bring my daily vitamins, chelated minerals, omegas and adaptogens with me to help keep my immune system up. HYDRATING is also essential! Keep a reusable water bottle on hand to fill up any and everywhere you go. Staying hydrated will help your body adjust to time zones better, help your digestive system, promote better sleep and flush your body.
4) Try biking or walking to see the city your visiting – a lot of major cities have bike share available now. Not only is biking a great way to see a city but its also great exercise. I try to avoid taxis and public transit and walk if I can to save some money and get in some extra exercise. Sometimes when I’m really getting an itch for a good workout, I’ll scope out a local fitness or yoga studio. It’s also a great way to engage with some of the locals!
5) Bring snacks and load up on veggies – I always bring some snacks with me to have for the duration of my trip. I like to bring my favorite bars (Go Macro, RX Bars, Square Bars and Vega bars), dried unsweetened fruit, nuts, protein powder and collagen for smoothies, etc. It’s also important to get in all of the veggies that you can. I usually scope out healthy and organic restaurants, vegan cafes, or the nearest whole foods to stock on salads and stuff that I can make at my AirBnB. Enjoy the different cuisines that the city your visiting has to offer but getting in fiber and vitamins is essential for optimal health while traveling.
6) Practice daily GRATITUDE – Many people do not have the opportunity or privilege to travel. Leave any negative energy behind you and wake up each day with an open mind and practice gratitude. Allow yourself to have the things you want without a guilty conscious.
Feel free to share some of your favorite tips! What works for you when you travel? Drop them below in the comments.